Connecting Past and Present


Not all of our business takes place on our campus.  There are times throughout the year when an employee or group travel to tradeshows or other events.  A few weeks ago Keith was a member of the team traveling to New York for a chief's show.

The words below are directly from Keith and it has nothing to do with the show, but about connecting the past and the present.

I wanted to take some time to let everyone know the wonderful things that have happened to me on this trip to the New York show. The show presented me with quite an opportunity to connect with my past.


I lived for the first eight years of my life in a small town in upstate New York called Utica. The town is quite small and very quaint. I lived within walking distance of my grandparent's house and my school. I had a wonderful relationship with my grandparents and have many fond memories of the town.

My parents divorced when I was only two years old. I have not had a relationship with my dad in all the years since.

When I heard about the New York show I thought about how neat it would be to visit the town again. After much debate, I decided to reach out to my dad and see if we could get together. He agreed to meet.

The trip to the show was uneventful and we had no delays.

Shortly after arriving at our hotel I received a text from my dad that he was in the hospital.

The next morning we all got up and went to the show as that was the main purpose of the trip.

Around 1 pm was able to leave and head to the hospital to see my dad for the first time in 42 years.


When I reached the hospital I realized it was the same hospital I used to go to with my Grandfather when he was making his morning rounds. My grandfather was a pediatrician in Utica for 40 years.

I entered the hospital and went to the receptionist to get my father's room number. As I waited I turned and noticed a memorial to my grandfather for his service to the community and the special care he gave to children with Polio.

I chatted with my dad for an hour and learned he would undergo a double bypass the next morning.


After leaving the hospital I took a quick trip through town visiting both my childhood home and my grandparent's house. The entire town was full of memories of them and my childhood. It was quite emotional and I found myself crying several times. The whole afternoon was amazing. My mother guided me around the town over the phone and I sent her a ton of pictures.

I am currently at the show awaiting word on my father. I think the timing of this trip came at a great time.

I am so grateful to work for a company that gave me this opportunity to come to this show and also the time to reconnect with my childhood and father.

I often think I was meant to work a Brindlee for a reason. This trip has reminded me how special the company is. Thank you to the guys at the show who covered for me yesterday, and thank you to those who allowed me to make this trip.